With three days in San Jose, you can relax into the city’s natural rhythm, which blends the sounds of tropical birdsong, bustling markets, and salsa beats. You’ll have plenty of time to take in the key sights, including Costa Rica’s lush rain forest, volcanic peaks, and coffee farms. Here’s how.
Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
Built using funds donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1912, Costa Rica’s Yellow House(Casa Amarilla) is a noteworthy (and noticeable!) building that houses the Central American Court of Justice. It has since been appropriated for use as a presidential home, a temporary facility for the Legislative Assembly and, most often, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cult.
Travelers can explore the grounds on their own or take a self-guided tour through one of San Jose’s most famous buildings. Once a week, local history experts offer official tours, which include a visit to the Museum Marques Manuel Maria Peralta, a gallery named after one of the country’s most important diplomats that is stationed on site.
Calle 11, San José, Costa Rica
The Yellow House is located on 7th Avenue between 11 and 13 streets. It is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Guided tours take place once a week by appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)?
What else should I know about attractions in San Jose?
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- National Museum (Museo Nacional)
- Gold Museum
- Plaza de la Cultura
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- Morazan Park
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- La Sabana Park
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)