Caves of Is Zuddas (Grotte Is Zuddas)
Only about one-third of the cave system is open to visitors, but this short stretch includes multiple large chambers, impressive stalactites and stalagmites, and the remains of an extinct rodent species that was only found in Sardinia and nearby Corsica. You can only visit the Caves of Is Zuddas with a guide; some guided tours from Cagliari, Chia, and Domus de Maria also include stops at the nearby Cave of Campanaccio and Cave of Capra or a visit to the mines of the Porto Flavia seaport, an impressive feat of modern engineering.
Things to know before you go
- Kids especially love touring the caves, with their dramatic Organ and Theater Chambers.
- Entry into the caves is only via a guided tour with a timed entry. Purchase tickets at the caves or join a tour that includes transportation and tickets.
- Temperatures inside the caves can be cool even in summer, so bring a light jacket.
- The cave complex is not accessible to wheelchair users.
How to get there
The Caves of Is Zuddas are located southwest of Cagliari near the town of Santadi. There is no public transportation to the caves so drive or join a guided tour that includes transportation.
When to get there
The opening hours of the caves change almost monthly, but from April to October there are a number of guided visits offered each day from late morning to late afternoon.
The Helictites of Is Zuddas
The Caves of Is Zuddas are famous for their striking stalactites and stalagmites, most notably the helictites that coat the main cavern of the cave system. Helictites are a unique, stick-like form of stalactite, and those in Is Zuddas are thought to have been formed by the wind in the cave may acting on drops of water dripping off the stalactites.
- Things to do in Alghero
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Nora Archaeological Area (Area Archeologica di Nora)
- Molentargius - Saline Regional Park (Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius - Saline)
- Devil's Saddle (Sella del Diavolo)
- Gulf of Cagliari (Golfo di Cagliari)
- Casa Zapata Museum
- Su Nuraxi
- Giovanni Lilliu Centre (Centro Giovanni Lilliu)
- Cala Gonone Acquarium (Acquario Cala Gonone)
- Nuraghe di Palmavera
- Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju (Necropoli di Anghelu Ruju)