Things to Do in Segovia
- Segovia is a must-visit for history buffs and couples.
- Wear comfortable shoes and prepare to do a fair bit of walking; Segovia’s old city is easily navigable on foot.
- Don’t forget sun protection; like much of Spain, shade can be hard to come by in Segovia.
- Day trips to Segovia from Madrid are typically combined with another destination, like Toledo or Avila, and can last more than nine hours.
On your journey from Segovia’s Roman aqueduct to its Plaza Mayor, you’ll no doubt pass by one of the city’s most intriguing buildings, the Casa de los Picos. One look at the façade and you’ll easily see how it earned its name, the (loosely translated) House of Sharp Points, as its front is covered top to bottom with over 600 granite, diamond-shaped reliefs.
It is believed that the 15th century noble home’s curious façade was created as a possible form of defense given the building’s rather exposed location. Legend has it, though, that the house was well known (famously or infamously) for its previous owners, so when new ones moved in, they chose to cover the façade. These days, the thick-walled structure is home to the Segovia Art School and serves as an exhibition hall, which is open to the public free of charge.
Things to do near Segovia
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Salamanca
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country