Plaza de España
While the buildings of the Plaza de España mostly house government offices, the tiled alcoves make for a pleasant stroll; each of the 48 alcoves depicts scenes from one province of Spain. Due to the plaza’s popularity, it’s almost always included as a stop on Seville sightseeing tours (walking tours, bike tours, and river cruises), along with other points of interest like the Seville Cathedral (Catedral de Sevilla), Alcázar royal palace (Real Alcázar), and the Santa Cruz quarter.
Recent reviews from experiences in Seville
Things to Know Before You Go
The Plaza de España is a must-see for all first-time visitors to Seville.
Don’t forget to wear sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat, as the central portion of the plaza doesn’t offer much shade.
Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk; the plaza is the size of five football fields.
The flat plaza is accessible to wheelchair users and strollers, as are some of the surrounding sights.
How to Get There
The Plaza de España sits near the river in the historic district (Centro Histórico) of Seville. It’s easily (and best) accessed on foot; bear left upon entering Maria Luisa Park.
When to Get There
While the alcoves are shaded, much of the plaza is exposed to the intense Spanish sun, so plan to visit from September to May when the sunshine is welcome rather than scorching. To experience the plaza with the fewest crowds, visit first thing in the morning or in the early evening.
A Spanish Photo Op
If you spend some time observing visitors within the plaza, you’ll likely notice Spanish couples and families having their pictures taken in front of the colorful ceramic tiled alcoves. It’s become somewhat of a tradition for visiting Spaniards to snap a photo on their home province’s bench.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Casa de la Memoria
- Historic Center of Seville (Centro Historico de Sevilla)
- Church of the Divine Savior (Iglesia del Salvador)
- Flamenco Dance Museum (Museo del Baile Flamenco)
- Pilate's House (La Casa de Pilatos)
- Aire Ancient Baths Sevilla
- Museum of Fine Arts of Seville (Museo de Bellas Artes)
- The Giralda (El Giraldillo)
- Seville Cathedral (Catedral de Santa María de la Sede)
- Barrio Santa Cruz
- Casa de la Guitarra
- General Archive of the Indies (Archivo General de Indias)
- Hospital de los Venerables
- Santa Cruz
- Los Gallos Tablao Flamenco