Sofia National Archaeological Museum
Several city tours include the museum along with other iconic attractions such as the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and National Art Gallery. Such tours provide a comprehensive overview of the Bulgarian capital, and can often be personalized to suit your interests and schedule. Put aside an hour or so to explore the museum’s interior, making sure not to miss the famous Valchitran and Lukovit Treasures. Guided tours can be booked at reception.
Things to know before you go
- The National Institute of Archaeology & Museum is a must-visit for ancient history buffs.
- Entry is free for all visitors on the last Sunday of every month.
- The museum is located a minute’s walk from both the former royal palace and St. George Church, making it easy to visit all three in one day.
How to get there
The National Institute of Archaeology & Museum is less than ten minute’s walk from Serdika subway station. Its close proximity to other top attractions lends itself to exploration on foot, especially as there is no parking available on-site.
When to get there
During summer, the museum opens daily with extended hours. During winter, it is closed on Mondays, as well as Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- Things to do in Skopje
- Things to do in Pristina
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Otopeni
- Things to do in Brasov
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Istanbul
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Sofia Church of St. George (St. George Rotunda)
- Sofia National Gallery
- Ivan Vazov National Theatre
- Amphitheater of Serdica
- Central Sofia Market Hall (Halite)
- Sofia Synagogue
- St. Sofia Church
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Sofia National Gallery (Kvadrat 500)
- Monument to the Soviet Army
- Vitosha Boulevard (Vitoshka)
- Bulgarian National Museum of Military History
- Museum of Socialist Art
- Sofia National History Museum
- Boyana Church