Discover the temple on a city tour to gain an overview of the city’s cultural landscape. Comprehensive itineraries allow you see the landmark along with other highlights, such as the neighboring Banya Bashi Mosque. Alternatively, pop in for a closer glimpse of the rich interior, or take time to explore the on-site museum’s informative exhibitions.
Things to Know Before You Go
Sofia Synagogue is a must-see for architecture enthusiasts, as well as anyone interested in Sofia’s cultural heritage.
Some tours include entry; otherwise, there is a small charge for adults to enter the synagogue and museum.
A guided tour is included in the admission price.
Wheelchair users can access the synagogue, but it is not yet fully adapted.
How to Get There
Sofia Synagogue is a short walk from Serdika and Lion’s Bridge metro stations, and a 20-minute stroll from Sofia Central. Take advantage of tours with round-trip transportation to save time finding it.
When to Get There
Southeastern Europe’s largest synagogue is open to visitors Monday to Friday. Be aware that the synagogue is an active place of worship. Visitors are welcome to join in prayer, but sightseeing and museum tours are best conducted outside of worship hours.
20th Century Jewish History
Despite a long history of Judaism in Bulgaria, the community experienced turbulence in the 20th century. The kingdom joined the Axis in 1941, and anti-Semitic policies followed. The synagogue was hit by an Allied bomb in 1944. On the positive side: In 1943, civilians, religious leaders, and politicians united to stop the deportation of 50,000 Bulgarian Jews to Treblinka extermination camp. Today, Sofia has a church, mosque, and synagogue coexisting within meters of one another.
- Things to do in Skopje
- Things to do in Pristina
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Otopeni
- Things to do in Brasov
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Istanbul
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Central Sofia Market Hall (Halite)
- Sofia Church of St. George (St. George Rotunda)
- Sofia National Archaeological Museum
- Sofia National Gallery
- Amphitheater of Serdica
- St. Sofia Church
- Ivan Vazov National Theatre
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Sofia National Gallery (Kvadrat 500)
- Monument to the Soviet Army
- Vitosha Boulevard (Vitoshka)
- Bulgarian National Museum of Military History
- Museum of Socialist Art
- Sofia National History Museum
- Boyana Church