Mestrovic Gallery (Galerija Mestrovic)
Explore the 1930s villa, which holds works by the sculptor who's often compared to Rodin. Meštrović's religious art comprises much of the gallery's permanent exhibits, and there are hundreds of sculptures, drawings, paintings, architectural plans, and two furniture sets on display. Don't miss the garden, which holds some of the artist's best pieces. For a comprehensive view of Split, visit Meštrović Gallery on a tour—by foot, hop-on hop-off bus, or bicycle—of the city's top attractions.
Things to Know Before You Go
Meštrović Gallery is suitable for art lovers of all ages.
There is a small fee to enter.
Tours of Split often include Diocletian’s Palace, Peristyle Square, and Old Town.
How to Get There
Meštrović Gallery is on Setaliste Ivana Meštrovića on the Marjan peninsula on the east side of Split. Marjan is about a 10-minute walk from Meštrović Gallery, and it's a 10- to 15-minute taxi ride from downtown Split to the gallery.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday to Sunday with shorter hours in winter. The greater Split area is a popular tourist destination in summer. The best time to visit Marjan is September and October when tourist crowds have gone, but the Adriatic Sea is still warm enough for a swim.
Don’t Miss The Guest House
Entrance to Meštrović Gallery includes access to entire property as well as the 16th-century summer house of the noble Capogrosso family, Kaštelet. Meštrović remodeled the villa in 1939 to showcase for his Life of Christ cycle reliefs. Particularly notable are the room-sized wood carvings, which line the house’s Holy Cross Chapel.
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Things to do in Hvar
- Things to do in Šibenik
- Things to do in Makarska
- Things to do in Zadar
- Things to do in Visoko
- Things to do in Sarajevo
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Republic Square (Prokurative)
- Fruit's Square (Trg Brace Radic)
- Riva Promenade (Riva Split Waterfront)
- Temple of Jupiter
- Split Ethnographic Museum (Etnografski Muzej Split)
- Peristyle Square (Peristil)
- Bene Beach
- Gates of Diocletian's Palace
- Diocletian's Palace
- Cathedral of St. Dominus (Katedrala Svetog Duje)
- Split Archaeological Museum (Arheoloski Muzej Split)
- Gregory of Nin (Grgur Ninski)
- Port of Split (Luka Split)