St. Augustine Old Jail
Tours of the building—today simply known as the Old Jail—give you the chance to see how some of Florida’s toughest fugitives lived while locked away. Led by a costumed guide, step into a maximum security cell, visit the sheriff’s house and gallows, and check out a collection of weapons from the early 20th century.
Book your Old Jail tour in advance to skip the line at the ticket office. Or, for a spookier experience, go after dark as part of a haunted tour of historic St. Augustine. The Old Jail is also a stop on the city’s hop-on hop-off sightseeing trolley.
Recent reviews from experiences in St Augustine
Things to Know Before You Go
Take your camera for a jail-cell photo op.
Admission is free for children under age 6.
How to Get There
Located next to the main trolley station in St. Augustine’s Old Town, the Old Jail is within walking distance of several other sights. If you’re getting there from farther afield, take the trolley, or a taxi or rideshare.
When to Get There
The Old Jail is typically open daily year-round (except on Christmas), with guided tours every 20 minutes. Haunted tours take place after dark.
St. Augustine Old Town is home to some of the city’s top historic attractions. Before or after your tour of the Old Jail, head to the Oldest Store Museum, a recreated general store from 1908. Or, pay a visit to the St. Augustine History Museum to explore the city’s 500-year past, as well as the people who made St. Augustine what it is today.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in South Carolina
- St. Augustine History Museum
- Oldest Store Museum
- Fountain of Youth
- Mission Nombre de Dios
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! St. Augustine
- Old Florida Museum
- Oldest Wooden School House
- Potter's Wax Museum
- St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Colonial Quarter
- Micro Masterpieces Art Gallery
- Medieval Torture Museum
- Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Flagler College