Tenerife Church of the Immaculate Conception
Sightseeing tours of Santa Cruz often include a photo stop at the landmark church and its most striking feature is its Baroque-style bell tower, which can be spotted from all over the city. Inside, the ornate interiors include a silver altarpiece, intricate Mudéjar-style tilework, and artworks by Cristóbal Hernández de Quintana and Cristóbal Ramírez. The highlight is the 15th-century cross after which the city of Santa Cruz was named—erected by Alonso Fernandez de Lugo, it marked the Spanish conquest of Tenerife and the founding of the Christian city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The church is a working church and hosts services every Sunday; dress modestly and be respectful of other worshippers.
- There are numerous bars, restaurants, and cafés on the streets around the church.
- The church is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The church is located on Plaza de la Iglesia in downtown Santa Cruz; a short walk from many of the central attractions. The closest tram stop is Fundacion (line 1), which stops right on the plaza.
When to Get There
Church opening times can be unreliable and it is frequently closed, so check ahead to avoid disappointment. Your best chance of gaining access is to visit during Sunday mass (typically held in the late morning and early afternoon), while the exteriors can be admired at any time.
Exploring Santa Cruz de Tenerife The Tenerife capital has a number of historic sites, architectural landmarks, and museums worth visiting. After admiring the Church of the Immaculate Conception, pay a visit to the Museum of Nature and Archaeology right next door, where you can learn more about the island’s volcanic terrain and the ancient Guanche people. Stop by Plaza Espana to admire the many monuments and Herzog-designed fountain; visit the Nuestra Señora de África Market to shop for traditional foods and handicrafts; then head to the seafront to see the futuristic Tenerife Auditorium and the 17th-century San Juan Bautista fort.
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco