Pine trees, volcanic geography, and views upon views are what you’ll find when exploring Tenerife’s La Caldera and the region that surrounds it. A volcanic crater, La Caldera is situated in La Orotava Valley, which spans the northern part of the island’s central coast. La Orotava is packed with more than just pretty scenery but also trails, including those around La Caldera and its recreation area.
Easily accessible, the La Caldera crater is where you’ll find picnic tables and a playground, along with other facilities, including a restaurant. But it’s the woodland wonderland that surrounds all of this that you may be more keen to explore, particularly the loop that circles the crater and ventures off into the mountainous landscape beyond. The roughly 3-hour excursion, which begins from the recreation area, passes through the region’s mossy, fern-filled terrain, and offers impressive views of Tenerife, including El Teide.
La Caldera and its recreation park are located just off the TF-21, near the town of Aguamansa, which can be reached from Puerto de la Cruz by taking the 345 bus. If you wish to take the circular hike, note that it is relatively demanding. Be sure to bring water and food, as well as layers given that the weather can be unexpectedly damp and cold.
- Monje Winery (Bodegas Monje)
- La Laguna
- Museum of Science and the Cosmos (Museo de las Ciencias y el Cosmos)
- Auditorio de Tenerife (Tenerife Auditorium)
- Museum of Nature and Archaeology (MUNA)
- Tenerife Church of the Immaculate Conception
- Anaga Mountains (Macizo de Anaga)
- Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife)
- La Orotava Valley
- Pyramids of Güímar Ethnographic Park and Botanical Garden (Pirámides de Güímar)
- Loro Park (Loro Parque)
- Mt. Teide (El Teide)
- Teide National Park (Parque Nacional del Teide)
- Teide Cable Car (Teleférico del Teide)