La Orotava Valley
Any exploration of La Orotava Valley should start in the historic town of the same name. Walk through the streets to admire the 16th, 17th, and 18th-century architecture. Be sure to stop at the Mirador del Humboldt viewpoint, which offers an expansive panoramic view over the valley below.
While it’s possible to visit the valley independently, it’s often more convenient to do so as part of a guided tour. Full-day island tours around Tenerife often pass through the valley, with stops at other scenic and cultural points of interest, like Los Gigantes cliffs and Candaleria's Basilica. Adventure travelers have 141 hiking trails and another eight thematic trails to choose from.
Things to know before you go
- Wear sturdy shoes and bring plenty of water if you plan to do some hiking in the valley.
- Don’t forget to pack sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Amenities in town include numerous shops and restaurants, as well as banks and ATMs.
How to get there
While the easiest way to explore the valley is by car, it’s possible to reach the historic town of La Orotava by taking a bus from Puerto de la Cruz, running every 15 minutes or so. Taxis are also abundant and inexpensive.
When to get there
Come during the annual Feast of Corpus Christi, when carpets of flowers are laid out in front of the town hall. Spring and autumn tend to be the best seasons for hiking in the valley.
Teide National Park
Teide National Park, the largest and oldest national park in the Canary Islands and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, extends right to the edge of La Orotava and offers some of the island’s best hiking trails for visitors of all ability levels. Guided half and full-day hiking tours take in some of the park’s main points of interest, including Pico Viejo volcano, Los Roques de Garcia rock formations, and Llano de Ucanca. It’s also possible to take a cable car to the top of Mount Teide, the world’s third-highest volcano.
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Calheta
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Loro Park (Loro Parque)
- Monje Winery (Bodegas Monje)
- Pyramids of Güímar Ethnographic Park and Botanical Garden (Pirámides de Güímar)
- Mt. Teide (El Teide)
- Teide Cable Car (Teleférico del Teide)
- Teide National Park (Parque Nacional del Teide)
- La Caldera
- Drago Park (Parque del Drago)
- Los Roques de García
- La Laguna
- Museum of Science and the Cosmos (Museo de las Ciencias y el Cosmos)
- Auditorio de Tenerife (Tenerife Auditorium)
- Museum of Nature and Archaeology (MUNA)