With two days to explore Tenerife, you’ll have time to ride a cable car up a volcano, do some mountaintop stargazing, take an ocean cruise, learn about the island’s famous carnival celebrations, relax on the beach, and more.
Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife)
Tenerife’s many attractions simply can’t be covered in one day, so pre-book a shore excursion that suits your tastes and benefit from worry-free shore excursions that include guaranteed on-time return to your ship. Popular attractions include the volcanic landscapes of the UNESCO-listed Teide National Park; go wine-tasting in the Orotava Valley; or head to Las Cañadas National Park.
Those short on time or preferring to stay closer to the port can opt to discover the colonial capital of Santa Cruz instead, with a hop-on hop-off tour around attractions like the Auditorio de Tenerife, Castillo de San Juan, and the Parque Garcia Sanabria.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is the second-busiest cruise port in Spain, surpassed only by Barcelona on the Spanish mainland.
- Keep in mind that VAT totaling 20% is added to most purchases on Tenerife.
- Pre-booking a shore excursion is a convenient way of making the most of your time on Tenerife.
- There’s no cruise terminal at the Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, but downtown Santa Cruz is just 1 mile (1.5 kilometers) away and free shuttles are available.
How to Get to Santa Cruz From the Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife
The Port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife) is located in Santa Cruz on the island’s northeast coast. It’s possible to walk to the town center from the waterfront, but most ships offer free shuttle buses to the central Plaza de España. Some shore excursions also depart from the dock.
The official language of Tenerife is Spanish, although many locals speak basic English. The local currency is the euro. There are plenty of banks, ATMs, and currency exchanges along Santa Cruz's waterfront and principal shopping streets.
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Calheta
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Tenerife Church of the Immaculate Conception
- Museum of Nature and Archaeology (MUNA)
- Auditorio de Tenerife (Tenerife Auditorium)
- Anaga Mountains (Macizo de Anaga)
- Museum of Science and the Cosmos (Museo de las Ciencias y el Cosmos)
- La Laguna
- La Caldera
- Monje Winery (Bodegas Monje)
- Pyramids of Güímar Ethnographic Park and Botanical Garden (Pirámides de Güímar)
- La Orotava Valley
- Loro Park (Loro Parque)
- Teide National Park (Parque Nacional del Teide)
- Mt. Teide (El Teide)
- Teide Cable Car (Teleférico del Teide)