Olhão Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
Olhão is a beautiful and very popular seaside tourist town in the Algarve region of Portugal. The biggest fishing port in the area, the town is a summer vacation destination for those looking for great seafood, wide beaches, and sunny weather.
The fishing town of Olhão is located just east of Faro, the capital of the Algarve. Book a visit to a beach resort, and enjoy family-friendly beaches with sand dunes. Visit the local market to see fisherman haul in their catch, or climb the bell tower at Nossa Senhora dos Aflitos church for great views. The town also hosts an annual Seafood Festival every August
Olhão also makes a great base for exploring nearby Ria Formosa Natural Park, an area of wetlands, sandbars, and salt pans that is home to many species of birds, including the Eurasian spoonbill, and the grey plover. Take a guided tour of the area to have an expert help identify the local wildlife.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Temperatures in Olahão range from around 60°F (15°C) in the winter to 85°F (30°C), so while the beaches are lovely all year round, it can be a bit chilly from November–April
- Many Olhão hotels offer accessible rooms, and many beaches in the Algarve have been made accessible with ramps and walkways that lead to the sand
- If you plan to swim at Olhão’s beaches, pay attention to the beach flags, which indicate whether getting in the water is permitted and whether a lifeguard is on duty
How to Get There
Olhão is located about 6 miles (10 km) east of Faro, in the southern Algarve. The closest airport is in Faro, where you can rent a car. Alternatively, you can take a public bus, which runs from Faro to Olhão daily.
When to Get There
Portugal has a mild climate all year round, so there’s something to enjoy in Olhão at any time of the year. Olhão is a popular summer resort for visitors from all over Europe, and summer is peak tourist season.
Golfing in the Algarve
Aside from beaches and sunshine, the Algarve is also famous as a golf destination, and the area around Faro has some of the top courses in the region. You’ll find a number of driving ranges to practice your swing in the area, and there are a variety of courses to suit all levels of ability.
Address: Olhao, Portugal
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Olhão
No results found!
Things to do near The Algarve
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Castile and León