Belvedere Palace (Schloss Belvedere)
Guided tours of the Belvedere Palace include the main palace buildings—the Upper Belvedere, Lower Belvedere, and Winter Palace (the Orangery)—as well as the Royal Stables and the lavish palace gardens. Opt to visit as part of a Vienna city tour; explore independently on a hop-on hop-off bus tour or using a Vienna Card; or combine it with a horse and carriage tour or candlelight dinner in Vienna.
Recent reviews from experiences in Vienna
Things to Know Before You Go
Plan around two hours to visit the palace and gardens.
Separate or combination tickets are available for the Upper Palace and Lower Palace.
Visitor facilities include a gift shop, café, and restaurant at both palaces.
All the palace buildings are fully wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Belvedere Palace is located about 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometers) south of Vienna’s historic center, just off the Ringstrasse. It’s easily accessible by tram (Tram D, Schloss Belvedere or Gusshausstrasse station), U-Bahn trains (Hauptbahnhof station), or S-Bahn trains (Quartier Belvedere station).
When to Get There
The palace is open daily year-round, but it can get busy during the peak summer months, so plan an early visit to avoid the crowds. To experience the palace at its most atmospheric, time your visit for the festive season, when a lively Christmas Market is held in the palace grounds, or look out for special evening openings and exhibitions, which offer a chance to admire the illuminated palaces by night.
Art Masterpieces at the Belvedere
The Belvedere houses one of Vienna’s most impressive collections of Austrian art, with the most notable collection on display in the Upper Belvedere. Highlights include the world’s largest collection of Gustav Klimt paintings, including famous works such asThe Kiss andJudith; an important display of Viennese Biedermeier art; and works by acclaimed artists including Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh, Oskar Laske, Paul Troger, and Max Beckmann.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Museum of Military History (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum)
- St. Charles's Church (Karlskirche)
- Wiener Konzerthaus
- Vienna Musikverein (Wiener Musikverein)
- Otto Wagner Pavillon Karlsplatz
- Kursalon Vienna (Kursalon Wien)
- Third Man Museum (Dritte Mann Museum)
- Vienna Secession
- Schubert Sterbewohnung
- House of Music (Haus der Musik)
- Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)
- St. Anne's Church (Annakirche)
- Albertina Museum