Enjoy a walk or bike ride around the 2.1-mile (3.4-kilometer) Tidal Basin loop, which passes by several key monuments. If you’re there between May and October, you can explore the inlet by paddleboat. The Tidal Basin features on many walking, biking, and Segway tours—hop-on hop-off trolleys stop there as well. The inlet is also close to other landmarks on the National Mall, making it easy to check out multiple sights in one visit.
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear comfortable walking shoes if you plan to tour the area, as distances between attractions can be greater than anticipated.
Paddleboats can be booked online. Reserve yours well in advance if you’ll be visiting during cherry blossom season.
The Tidal Basin trail and all monuments around the inlet are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
It’s best to take public transit to the Tidal Basin, as parking in the area is limited. The closest metro stations are Smithsonian (on the Blue, Silver, and Orange lines) and L’Enfant Plaza (on the Blue, Silver, Orange, Green, and Yellow lines), and the National Mall Circulator bus stops nearby. Bikeshares are also a good way to get around.
When to Get There
For the ideal views, head to the Tidal Basin on a clear day. Avoid going after heavy rains, as the area can flood. The prettiest, though also busiest, time to visit is in spring when the cherry trees are in bloom—go in the early morning or the evening to beat the crowds.
Less-Crowded Places to See the Cherry Blossoms
Washington DC’s most popular spot to view cherry blossoms, the Tidal Basin can be extremely crowded during peak bloom. For fewer people, opt for one of the city’s less-crowded areas to marvel at the lovely blooms, such as the United States National Arboretum, Stanton Park, or Anacostia Park.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial
- East Potomac Park
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
- International Spy Museum
- The Pentagon
- Washington Monument
- National World War II Memorial
- National Museum of African Art
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- The Smithsonian
- National Museum of American History