Gunung Mas Tea Gardens (Perkebunan Teh Gunung Mas)
A private Gunung Mas Tea Plantation tour includes a visit to the tea fields, a factory tour, a tasting, the opportunity to buy some tea, and perhaps a guided hike or horseback ride. Gunung Mas is also a popular stop on wider Java highland tours, which typically include the Bogor Botanical Gardens.
Things to Know Before You Go
Gunung Mas is a must for tea tipplers.
Java’s roads are overloaded, so don’t underestimate your travel time.
Temperatures in Puncak can drop as low as 64℉ (18℃), so bring layers—and extra if you plan to paraglide.
The Gunung Mas Tea Plantation is often rainy. You can pick up an inexpensive poncho at minimarts such as Indomaret, Alfamart, Coco Mart, or Circle K.
How to Get There
The Gunung Mas Tea Plantation is located just before the Puncak Pass, a couple of miles off the highway between Bogor and Bandung. Most visitors opt for a round-trip door-to-door tour or private driver. Alternatively, you can catch the bus or train from Jakarta to Bogor, then pick up a Bandung-bound bus. Expect the journey by private transit to take at least five hours.
When to Get There
Tea is harvested in Indonesia year-round, so it’s possible to visit Gunung Mas Tea Plantation at any time. If tandem paragliding in Puncak is on your agenda, then June, July, and August offer the best potential for dry weather, although paragliding is possible year-round if the weather cooperates.
Tea in Indonesia
Javanese tea has a legacy dating back to the 19th century. The Dutch in Indonesia were the first colonial power to grow tea outside China, and tea plantations are still scattered across Java, Sumatra, and other islands. Today the 12th-largest tea producer in the world, Indonesia exports almost all of its tea for brands such as Twinings.
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Bali
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in South Coast
- Taman Safari Bogor (Bogor Safari Park)
- Bogor Botanical Gardens (Kebun Raya Bogor)
- Mt. Salak (Gunung Salak)
- Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Beautiful Indonesia in Miniature Park)
- Pejaten Village
- KidZania Jakarta
- Jalan Surabaya Market (Pasar Antik Jalan Surabaya)
- Indonesia National Monument (Monas)
- National Museum
- Glodok (Jakarta Chinatown)
- Museum Wayang (Puppet Museum)
- Fatahillah Square (Taman Fatahillah)
- Ancol Dreamland (Taman Impian Ancol)
- Sunda Kelapa (Jakarta Old Port)