Bahnhofstrasse is located in the center, and is easy to visit during a sightseeing day; many tours include a stop here, from city tours that cover Zurich’s main attractions to more specific activities like chocolate walking tours. Running parallel to the Limmat River, the street is mostly closed to vehicles, but pedestrians share their space with the city trams. Cultural sites such as Fraumunster Church can be found on the small streets that surround Bahnhofstrasse.
Things to know before you go
- Bahnhofstrasse stretches just less than a mile (1.3 kilometers) from Bahnhofplatz to Lake Zurich.
- Central Zurich is very walkable, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- In addition to shopping, Bahnhofstrasse’s other claim to fame is Paradeplatz—the epicenter of the Swiss banking industry.
- Shops include high-end brands such as Dior, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton, but affordable stores like H&M and Zara are also available.
How to get there
Bahnhofstrasse starts at Bahnhofplatz outside Zurich’s main station, Hauptbahnhoff. It’s easily accessible by train, bus, or tram. The street sits on the west side of the Limmat and can be reached on foot from any of the bridges in the old town.
When to get there
Shops are generally open from midmorning to early evening, and many are closed on Sunday.
The best in Swiss chocolate and other sweets can be found at Confiserie Sprüngli, which features a shop on Bahnhofstrasse as well as a café and restaurant at its Paradeplatz headquarters. There are a variety of sandwiches and pastries to choose from, but the signature item is the Luxemburgerli macaron.
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Alsace
- Paradeplatz (Parade Square)
- St. Peter Church (Kirche St. Peter)
- Fraumünster Church
- National Museum Zurich (Landesmuseum Zürich)
- Grossmünster Church
- Kunsthaus Zurich
- Lake Zurich (Zürichsee)
- Zurich Opera House (Opernhaus Zürich)
- Museum Rietberg
- Zurich Chinese Garden (Chinagarten)
- Zurich Old Town (Altstadt)
- Botanical Garden (University of Zurich)