Lindenhof Square overlooks the main part of Zurich Old Town, making it a common stop on city sightseeing tours. Tours of Switzerland’s largest city follow a diverse range of itineraries, including historical-, LGBTQ-, or chocolate-focused options; while others combine city sightseeing with a boat trip on Lake Zurich or a journey on the city’s famous funicular or rack railways. Tours typically depart the city center, though some arrive from other Swiss cities such as Lucerne or Basel.
Things to know before you go
- Wheelchair users may benefit from a tour that includes round-trip transportation, as Lindenhof’s hilltop location can be tricky to access.
- Lindenhof Square is largely uncovered, so don’t forget an umbrella during the rainy months.
- Sometimes the park puts on small, free exhibitions about the area’s history, though guided tours offer more immersive insight.
How to get there
Lindenhof Square is less than a 10-minutes walk from Zurich Station–simply follow the Limmat south toward Lake Zurich. The closest tram stops are Rathaus–served by numbers #4 and #5–and Rennweg, served by numbers #6, #7, #10, #11, and #13. Daytime parking regulations in Zurich are very strict, so it’s often easier to get there by public transit or on a tour.
When to get there
Zurich is especially charming in December—when its squares are taken over by sprawling markets selling glühwein (mulled wine), magenbrot (sweet bread), and traditional decorations. Head to Lindenhof Square at dusk to see the city illuminated by festive lights, then stroll across to bridge to Niederdorf to experience the city’s oldest Christmas market.
Roman Switzerland and the Swiss Travel Pass
Lindenhof’s origins are not the only example of Roman influence in Switzerland. If you have time, the Ruins of Aventicum in Canton Vaud and the Augusta Raurica settlement just outside Basel both reveal the Roman routes of the Swiss Confederation. Get there easily with a Swiss Travel Pass, which includes unlimited use of public transport as well as entry to both sites—plus 498 others.
- St. Peter Church (Kirche St. Peter)
- Paradeplatz (Parade Square)
- Fraumünster Church
- Grossmünster Church
- National Museum Zurich (Landesmuseum Zürich)
- Kunsthaus Zurich
- Lake Zurich (Zürichsee)
- Zurich Opera House (Opernhaus Zürich)
- Museum Rietberg
- Zurich Chinese Garden (Chinagarten)
- Botanical Garden (University of Zurich)
- Zurich Old Town (Altstadt)