Explore our promoted experiences
- Explore Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the sights around Hilo
- Get an up-close look at Hawaii's volcanic activity during stops at Halema'uma'u Crater and Thurston Lava Tube
- See historic lava flows along the 'Chain of Craters’ Road
- Visit a local chocolate factory and tour Rainbow Falls during stops in and around Hilo
Departure & Return
Meet your tour guide at the Hilo Mo'oheau Bus Terminal (329 Kamehameha Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720). There is free parking adjacent to the bus terminal. Look for our van with the "Mauka Makai Adventures" logo on it in the parking lot. Please be waiting for your driver we may be picking up other guests.
What To Expect
Explore this unique volcanic area with your group, stopping to visit attractions like the steam vents and Halema'uma'u Crater. You may even witness a volcanic eruption! Trek through the nearby rainforest to visit Thurston Lava Tube, where you can learn more about how volcanoes form, erupt and cool. You will see additional lava flows as you continue on a drive along the ‘Chain of Craters’ Road.
After stopping to enjoy the beauty of locally grown orchids, continue to Hilo, where you'll sample island treats at a chocolate factory and visit Rainbow Falls. Finish the day with a drop-off back at your original pickup location.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions (be prepared for sun, wind and rain).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Covered walking shoes are required and a jacket is highly recommended.
- Participants must be able to walk a minimum of 1.5 miles on uneven terrain.
- We do not guarantee you will see molten lava on this tour.
- HOTEL pick-up is offered for select HILO HOTELS ONLY. If you are staying outside of Hilo, please plan to meet at the Hilo Mo'oheau Bus Terminal (please confirm at time of booking).
- CRUISE SHIP passengers, we pick-up directly at Hilo Harbor and will adjust the tour time as needed to accommodate your ships time in port.
- For a one DAY TRIP to the Big Island, please make your travel arrangements to and from the Hilo International Airport. Please provide your flight details at time of booking.
- All guests MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF FULL COVID-19 VACCINATION upon check-in for the tour. All guests are REQUIRED TO WEAR A FACE MASK covering the mouth and nose when traveling in the vehicle for the duration of the tour (regardless of State mandates being lifted).
- Kilauea volcano is an active volcano, you may be exposed to volcanic gas on this tour.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Mauka Makai Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands