- Explore Nanawale Forest Reserve, Rainbow Falls and the Ahulanui geothermal pools
- See towns evacuated due to Kilauea's lava flows
- Round-trip transportation from the Hilo port
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS MEETING LOCATION: When departing the ship you will enter a large terminal building. Look for your guide holding the sign "C Big Island Tours." If you have exited the building, you've gone too far. MEETING TIME 10-15 min prior to tour time
HOTEL GUESTS: Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel located at 71 Banyan Dr. Hilo HI . Please wait in lobby for pick up. The lobby also has a cafe lounge if needing something to drink.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Arrive first at Rainbow Falls, known in Hawaiian as wainuenue, the falls crash over a natural lava cave, throwing up rainbows almost every sunny day in the rising mist.
Drive through old-growth mango groves and through the verdant foliage of the Nanawale Forest, stopping to see the recent lava flow that caused the town of Pahoa to evacuate. See the few houses and commercial buildings that were burnt by the oozing fire. View dramatic scenery in spots where the burning lava met the cool, salty sea. Stop in Kaimu to see the site of the former Queen bath and town, both destroyed by a lava flow in 1990, now being reclaimed by the wild rainforest. View an exhibit showing what the area used to look like and snap photos of the active volcanic vent in the distance. Stroll down the black sand beach, reached via a 15-minute walk over old lava flows.
Continue to Lava Tree State Park, where lava burst from fissures in the ground and coated the Ohia trees, leaving amazing tree molds. See the warm springs at Ahalanui, geothermally heated by water traveling through lava tubes.
Stop at a dramatic overlook, surrounded by salt cedar pine trees and home to the old Kings Trails. Admire views of the waves crashing below towering sea cliffs.
Your half-day tour ends with drop-off back at the Hilo port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Hilo port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Moderate tour - Involves walking over relatively level terrain, possible gravel, lava or uneven ground. Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately; light rain jacket or poncho
- A stop is made to purchase food
- Worry-free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide ship name
- Exact departure time may vary depending on the cruise ship's disembarkation time
- Not recommended for those who cannot walk over uneven ground
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- OPERATED BY C Big Island LLC
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.