- Day trip to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park from Kona or Waikaloa
- See turtles basking on the black sand of Punalu’u Beach
- Enjoy a picnic lunch and taste freshly brewed Kona coffee
- Hike through a lava tube and see red-hot lava glowing at night
- Use the iPad to see high-def photos and videos and learn background information on the sites you visit, plus play games and listen to music in the car
- Small-group tour limited to 14 people ensures a more personalized experience
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 5 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Along the way, stop at the 'coffee belt' in the cool uplands above Kona, and enjoy a cup of Kona coffee on a plantation right where it’s grown. Enjoy a light snack in the cool mountain air, and, if you’d like to pick up some coffee for home or gifts to bring back from Hawaii, buying the coffee straight from the source is a great way to help local farmers.
The tour continues around the south end of the island, where you next stop at Punalu’u Beach Park for a walk down the black-sand beach. This scenic spot on the southeastern shore is known for its Hawaiian green sea turtles, which occasionally haul out and sun on the sands or bask in the shade of a palm.
Upon reaching Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, follow your guide on a short hike through a cavernous, naturally formed lava tube, which is created by the swelling and eventual cooling of an underground river of lava. When you approach the rim of Halema’uma’u Crater, you can see the steam as it rises from the Earth and the hiss of volcanic gas, and as the sunlight slowly fades into night, the crater emits an orange glow from the lava lake deep down inside. Since the temperature toward the volcano’s summit can be a bit chilly at night, enjoy a warm dinner of tasty soup that’s served with bread and then dessert.
Throughout this Kona volcano tour, every traveler has use of an iPad for reading more info about the sights, as well as scouring photos and videos or playing games in the car.
Finally, at the end of the fascinating Big Island adventure, return to your Kona or Waikoloa hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Please note that the tour may change due to weather, traffic, volcanic conditions, vehicles, and availability
- A small amount of walking is involved (please bring comfortable walking shoes)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress in layers and bring a rain jacket
- Bring money if you would like to buy coffee or souvenirs
- iPad may be shared with one other person
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Collapsible wheelchairs can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hawaii Outdoor Guides
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "Those interested in this tour should know that it is a long day and will involve a good deal of walking, however the physical activity is relatively short with driving breaks between." See review
- "It was nice they had raincoats just in case and the lunch spot provided very tasty food as well as beautiful scenery." See review