5 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Taste your way through Bucharest’s most charming and unusual ‘mahallas,’ or neighborhoods, on a small-group food tour. Venture beyond crowded squares and Communist architecture to discover the Romanian capital’s quieter, Belle Époque quarters, where Old World elegance meets bohemian flair. Along the way, pop in to lively markets, specialty shops, and cafes to sample the best of artisan Romanian cuisine like goats-milk cheese, cured meat, homemade bread, craft beer, and Wallachian doughnuts.
- Sample traditional Romanian peasant food and regional dishes like artisan cheeses, cured meats, sausages, fresh produce, and more
- Sip Romanian craft beer and 'palinca' brandy
- Includes all food and drink samples
- Small-group tour limited to 12 for a more personalized experience
Saved to wishlist!
Local English-speaking guide
Food and drink samples, including a ‘peasant platter’ (local cheese and meats, plus seasonal vegetables and homemade bread), street snack, 2 mici (includes bread and mustard), a platter of local cheeses, 1 Wallachian doughnut, 3 beers, a shot of palinca
Additional food and drinks
Tips/gratuities for your guide
Departure & Return
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please notify at least 24 hours in advance as to whether you have any food allergies, sensitivities, or other dietary needs, such as vegetarian/vegan or gluten intolerant
- Group maximum of 12 people
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour visits venues that serve food from local sources, and also goes to the farmers' market where we buy produce from small family farms from around Bucharest.
- This tour also cuts out single use plastic by offering tap water at the locations we visit.
- Your tour visits off-the beaten path locations, avoiding the overcrowded touristic sites of the city and giving you more insight into local life.
- Effective Sept 1, 2021, travellers 18+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Children 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or lateral flow) conducted maximum 72 hours prior, proof of recovery dated up to 9 months or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Intrepid Urban Adventures - Bucharest
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the social distancing policy during Bohemian Bucharest Markets and Mahallas Walking Food Tour?
A:The policies on social distancing are:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during Bohemian Bucharest Markets and Mahallas Walking Food Tour?
A:The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
Compare Similar Experiences
Bohemian Bucharest Markets and Mahallas Walking Food Tour
5 hours 30 minutes
4 hours 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Food ToursCity ToursWalking ToursHalf-day ToursWalking & Biking ToursCultural & Theme ToursFood, Wine & NightlifeTours & SightseeingBucharestFood Tours - WallachiaCity Tours - WallachiaWalking Tours - WallachiaHalf-day Tours - WallachiaFood Tours - OtopeniCity Tours - OtopeniWalking Tours - OtopeniHalf-day Tours - OtopeniFood Tours - BrasovCity Tours - BrasovWalking Tours - BrasovHalf-day Tours - BrasovCategory
Choral Temple (Templul Coral)Romanian Athenaeum (Ateneul Roman)Museum of Senses BucharestNational Museum of Romanian History (Muzeul National de Istorie a Romaniei)Grigore Antipa National Museum of Natural HistoryRomanian Peasant Museum (Muzeul National al Taranului Roman)Bucharest University PalaceGeorge Enescu National Museum (Cantacuzino Palace)Bucharest Jewish History MuseumHolocaust MemorialStavropoleos Monastery (Manastirea Stavropoleos)LipscaniPatriarchal Cathedral (Metropolitan Church)Victoriei Street (Calea Victoriei)CEC Palace (Palatul CEC)National Museum of Art of Romania (Muzeul National de Arta al Romaniei)Great Synagogue (Sinagoga Mare)