Explore our promoted experiences
- Sightseeing shore excursion of Chacchoben from Costa Maya
- Drive deep into the jungle where the Mayan city once lay buried under foliage
- Walk around the archeological ruins of Chacchoben
- See several reconstructed temple pyramids and a stela with Mayan hieroglyphics
- Spot native plants and animals like howler monkeys and armadillos
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
After disembarking, find the exit to the shopping facilities of the cruise port. Pass the parking lot, and our office is located half block on the left sidewalk.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
Gain insight into the mysteries of the Mayans as your guide unravels the history of a civilization that dates back to the pre-Classic period of 200BC; hear about how the ruins were discovered by local farmers in 1970 and learn about the complex archeological techniques employed to excavate the structures. Note the red pigment used to decorate the temples and decipher the enigmatic hieroglyphics at the base of the principal pyramid.
Immerse yourself in the atmospheric splendor of the jungle as you awaken your senses to the sights and sounds of nature. Identify fascinating flora and fauna as your guide shares insightful knowledge, listening and looking out for howler monkeys, toucans, armadillos, spider monkeys, and gray foxes. Gasp as you learn of the nearby presence of jaguars, pumas, and tapirs.
Peruse the gift shop for special souvenirs before returning to the port in your comfortable and air-conditioned transportation.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Costa Maya cruise port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY CM Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "I recommend going early in the morning, as we did, to beat the crowds." See review
- "IF you use a cane, walker or wheel chair, this is probably not a good excursion for you." See review
- "It's important to note that the port shopping area is huge and you just need to keep walking until you get out of the port area and the tour company is on the left right before the gated area." See review