- Private 8-hour Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monastery trip from Datong
- Visit the Yungang Grottoes, a UNESCO World Heritage site of cliff caves filled with Buddha statues
- Discover the Hanging Monastery, a 1,500-year-old monastery suspended from a cliff face
- Climb up to explore the temples or enjoy the views from the ground
- Entrance fees and Chinese lunch included
- Personalized attention from a private guide, plus private transport and hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
On route, hear intriguing facts about this historical wonder from your guide. Dating from the 5th century, the site features 252 cliffside grottoes and niches filled with thousands of hand-carved Buddha statues, making it a masterpiece of Buddhist cave art.
On arrival, tour the grottoes that spread just over half a mile (1 kilometer) from east to west. Admire the largest, 55-foot (17-meter) Buddha in the fifth cave, and enter some caverns to admire the Buddha figurines, and colorful wall murals and decorations.
Break for a Chinese lunch at a local restaurant, and then travel onward to the Hanging Monastery, built into the Hengshan Mountain, south of Datong.
The only existing monastery dedicated to all three religions of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism, this incredible structure was originally built about 1,500 years ago, and hangs from a sheer cliff face about 246 feet (75 meters) above the ground.
Topped by ornate upswept roofs, this monastery is supported by crossbeams driven into the cliff, and consists of 40 rooms connected by corridors and bridges, and filled with about 80 bronze, iron, and clay statues.
Admire the building from below or, if the monastery is open on the day, climb the steep steps to explore the walkways and chambers. Drink in the stunning views from the cliff face, and see the rock overhang above that shelters the temples from the worst of the elements.
After admiring the monastery, drive back Datong where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
Please note: the Hanging Monastery is occasionally closed for renovation or repairs. If this is the case on your tour, you will not be able to climb up to the rooms, and your visit will involve viewing the buildings from the ground.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- You will receive details about tour guide and exact meeting time in your voucher the day before. And the tour guide will also contact you through hotel or leave a message for you regarding the exact time the night before tour.
- Lunch is not included in this tour. But you can have a lunch break at any time if needed, just let your tour guide know.
- Most travelers can participate
- The Hanging Monastery is occasionally closed for renovation or repairs. If this is the case on your tour, you will not be able to climb up to the rooms, and your visit will involve viewing the buildings from the ground.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Trippest Mini Group Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff