- Explore UNESCO-listed Galle Fort, a colonial-era enclave of cobbled streets, museums, and shops
- Visit museums to trace the fort’s story through the artifacts and archives
- Stroll along the ramparts and see the famous Galle Lighthouse
- Entrance fees and personalized attention from a private guide included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 30 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Your guide has a long family history in Galle, so is well-versed in its history and culture. As you stroll, hear fascinating background on the key landmarks and everyday life in the fort and city.
Originating as a port in 1,400 BC, Galle was captured and fortified by the Portuguese in the 1500s. In the 1600s, the Dutch captured the fort, constructing stone ramparts, a church, storm drains, and additional buildings. The British then arrived in 1796, adding further buildings, and in 1938, the Galle Lighthouse.
Wander the pretty streets and admire the Dutch-era buildings. View the low, gabled houses, original Dutch street names, and churches, government buildings, and monuments. Then, tour the main museums to see artifacts associated with the fort's and Galle harbor's history.
As you explore, break for a Ceylon tea or king coconut milk (both own expense), and stride along the ramparts to Galle Lighthouse, a replica of the beacon first built by the British.
Your tour finishes back at the starting point when your guide departs.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Comfortable walking shoes and hats recommended
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 12 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Lakpura LLC
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms