Explore our promoted experiences
- Guided tours of Laura and St. Joseph plantations from New Orleans
- Tour the gardens and historic slave quarters at Laura Plantation
- Hear stories of St. Joseph's history and tour its active sugar cane farm with a family member or owner
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Please specify hotel at time of purchase. We pick up in New Orleans at any hotel, Bed & Breakfast or select Airbnbs, uptown (close to St. Charles Ave.), in (or close to) the French Quarter, and on the Westbank.
We do not pick up by the airport, in New Orleans East, in Slidell, or on the North Shore.
Supplier will contact you the day before your tour to give you an exact pick up time.
What To Expect
Arrive at St. Joseph Plantation, a Creole style, family-owned working sugar cane plantation since 1877. The tour gives you a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the many interesting people who have called this plantation 'home.' Many tours are guided by family members themselves. It is a relaxed, intimate visit to an ancestral home, grounds, and dependencies (including original slave cabins). The movie 12 Years A Slave was filmed there.
Next, a short ride through sugar cane fields brings you to Laura Plantation, a Creole plantation with distinctive and colorful architecture. Accompany your guide on a tour of the mansion, outbuildings and slave quarters, soaking up stories of Creole culture and West African folktales, said to be the inspiration for Br'er Rabbit stories. Meander through vibrant flower and vegetable gardens and marvel at the surrounding sugarcane fields—a lush backdrop and stark reminder of the site’s dramatic past.
Your tour ends with a drop‐off at your point of origin in the mid‐afternoon or evening.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Child rate applies to all children and infants
- Service animals are permitted. Please advise at time of booking to arrange accommodations
- Tour cannot accommodate wheelchairs of any kind
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tours by Isabelle
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
See all safety measures taken by Small-Group Tour of Laura and St. Joseph Plantations from New Orleans.
- "A tip though, have a large breakfast as neither have a cafe just snacks." See review