- 3.5-hour cooking class in Oaxaca
- Tour the local market to pick out your ingredients
- Learn to prepare a variety of classic dishes with a professional chef
- Create mouthwatering specialties like salsa, mole and guacamole
- Enjoy eating lunch with like-minded Mexican food lovers and take your recipes home with you!
- Small-group class with a maximum of 10 people ensures a personalized experience
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 30 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
While many cooking classes have set dishes planned, this Oaxaca cooking lesson starts off differently. Over a cup of coffee or tea, your small group decides, with the help of your chef, which regional dishes you’d like to make that day. Typical Oaxacan fare you might try include salsa, tacos and rose petal ice cream. Learn to make a main course like mole negro Oaxaqueño (Oaxacan black mole) or caldo de piedra (spicy seafood soup) on the stove, roll up empanadas or grind guacamole with a mortar and pestle.
Once the menu’s decided, set out on foot to the nearby Sánchez Pascuas food market. Your chef picks up the necessary ingredients (included), and shows you a variety of dried and fresh chiles and specialties like grasshopper. Sample local fruits before you leave.
Back in Casa Crespo, start preparing your 4-course meal under the guidance of your instructors, including a sous-chef who explains each step during your hands-on class.
Afterward, settle down at a table and enjoy the lunch you’ve cooked together, accompanied by a beverage such as beer, mescal, water or a soft drink. Enjoy another cup of coffee or tea after lunch, completing your tour with drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Note: maximum number of participants per tour is 10
- Not available on Mondays
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- OPERATED BY Turismo el Convento de Oaxaca
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff