- Private ancient Messene tour from Costa Navarino
- Explore the ruined Greek city of Messene, dating from the 3rd and 4th century BC
- See the city gate, theater, tombs, sanctuaries, and column-lined stadium
- Visit the archaeological museum and village of Mavromati, home to an ancient spring
- Private air-conditioned transport, including hotel pickup and drop-off
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 20 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
On route, hear about this UNESCO-listed archaeological site, where the ruins of an ancient Greek city developed by the Romans cover the slopes and valley around Mount Ithome. Learn about the city’s foundation in 369 BC and its tangled history under a succession of rulers.
After roughly 1.5 hours on the road, arrive at the village of Mauromati, situated on the hillside above the site. Visit the village spring, known in ancient times as Klepsydra, and hear the age-old Greek legends related to Zeus that swirl around this natural water source.
During your trip, enjoy a break for coffee (own expense) at a coffee shop and set off to explore the archaeological complex (own expense). Enter the city through the massive broken stones of the Arcadian gate, and imagine how it might have felt to have passed through it as a Messenian soldier on the way to battle.
Walk along the same paved roads as Epaminondas, the great general who founded the city, and branch out to explore the relics independently. See highlights like the city walls, theater, houses, sanctuaries, and tombs, and admire the well-preserved stadium, bordered by lines of columns.
Afterward, feel free to ask your guide any questions before continuing to the small Archaeological Museum. View some of the artifacts unearthed at the site, and then, if you wish, visit a taverna for lunch or snacks (own expense) and to discuss what you’ve seen.
From here, drive back to Costa Navarino, where your trip ends with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Maximum is 4 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY MTM D.M.C Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff