- See the highlights of Kalamata, including the Church of Ypapanti and ruined medieval castle
- Visit the Monastery of Nuns, where the nuns hand-weave silk
- View the 11th-century Church of Agioi Apostoli and cave-style St. John Church
- Learn about Kalamata’s culture and history, including its 1986 earthquake
Departure & Return
Please arrive 30 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
On route, learn about this lovely city, the second-largest in the Peloponnese, hearing how it centers on a hilltop Frankish castle encircled by an old town that was severely damaged by a 1986 earthquake.
On arrival, hop out at pretty Ypapanti Square in the old town. Admire the silver-domed 19th-century Church of Ypapanti, and learn how the earthquake exposed remnants of ancient Kalamata underneath it, including fragments of the original city wall, statues, and pottery.
Climb up to the crumbled 12th-century castle and explore the old stones and walls as you hear about the Villehardouins, the noble French family who built it, including tales of the 13th-century Princess Isabella and her father, William.
Stop below the castle to see some well-preserved, early 19th-century houses that survived the earthquake, and pass Kalamata’s first free hospital after 300 years of Turkish rule.
See the cave-built Church of St. John, used as a secret school during the Turkish period, and visit the Monastery of Nuns, a working monastery founded in 1796. The original nuns were versed in the cultivation of silkworms and silk-making, and their modern-day counterparts produce exquisite hand-woven scarves and handkerchiefs, forever linking Kalamata with this beautiful fabric. See the courtyard and churches here, and perhaps buy some silk (own expense) from the shop.
Then, continue to the 11th-century Church of Agioi Apostoli, Kalamata’s oldest, and enjoy free time for shopping and coffee in the surrounding roads and square. Stroll along Kalamata’s pedestrianized main street, admiring its neo-classical and 20th-century inter-war buildings, including the City Hall.
Finally, choose a restaurant, perhaps one recommended by your guide, and relax over a lunch (own expense) of local cuisine. Your trip then finishes at your Costa Navarino hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Maximum is 4 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please notice that extra charges may apply per person or in total of the group for pick-ups from hotels- villas- airbnb outside the proximity of our tour selected pick route. In that case we can provide round trip transfer for customer(s) convenience ad-hoc quoted as per location of customer(s)' property.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY MTM D.M.C Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff