2 hours 25 minutes (approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Carrara marble is among the most prized in the world, used to create masterpieces from Rome's ancient Pantheon to Michelangelo's "David". Learn how this white stone is extracted from the mountains outside Carrara with this private quarry tour at the historic Cava Romana. Board a Jeep to explore the massive open-air quarries and underground mines, plus learn about the local “lardo di Colonnata” delicacy and its tie to Carrara marble.
- Tour the monumental Carrara marble quarries and mines via Jeep
- Learn about the history of this prized stone and how it is extracted today
- Sample authentic “lardo di Colonnata” and see how it is made and aged
- A private tour for more personal attention and a relaxed pace
Saved to wishlist!
Departure & Return
This activity will end right where it started.Carrara-Avenza railway station
This operator has two meet-up options available. You can either meet at the departure point below or select a location for pick-up.
Strada Comunale per Colonnata, 9 , Strada Comunale per Colonnata, 9, 54033 Carrara MS, Italy
from Carrara centro follow signs for Colonnata. As soon as the detour to "Cava Romana" has passed, you have arrived.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Cave di Marmo Tours
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during PRIVATE tour in Carrara marble quarries with 4x4 vehicles?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during PRIVATE tour in Carrara marble quarries with 4x4 vehicles?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What is the social distancing policy during PRIVATE tour in Carrara marble quarries with 4x4 vehicles?
A:The policies on social distancing are:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during PRIVATE tour in Carrara marble quarries with 4x4 vehicles?
A:The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Compare Similar Experiences
PRIVATE tour in Carrara marble quarries with 4x4 vehicles