- Skip past the priority lines, with access through a reserved entranceway
- Step inside the Sistine Chapel to see Michelangelo’s The Creation of Adam fresco
- Visit St Peter's Basilica, and then see Bernini's colonnades in the square
- Enjoy commentary tailored to your interests with a private guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
At the bottom of the steps across the street from the Entrance of the Vatican Museums. The steps are located right next to Caffè Vaticano on the corner of Viale Vaticano and Via Tunisi. The closest Metro stop is Line A (Ottaviano – Musei Vaticani).
The tour ends outside Sistine Chapel.
What To Expect
Follow your guide to some of the complex’s dozens of galleries and rooms, such as Raphael’s Rooms, the Gallery of Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries and the Pinecone Courtyard. Hear about the famed Renaissance masters like Raphael and Michelangelo who created art for the popes, and listen to stories about rivalries between artists. You’ll eventually reach the Sistine Chapel, known for its iconic frescoes by Michelangelo—The Last Judgment and The Creation of Adam, which decorates the chapel’s sacred ceiling. (Talking inside the chapel is prohibited, so any commentary from your guide will be given outside the doors.)
Next, walk over to St Peter’s Basilica, the Italian Renaissance church that’s home to more artistic masterpieces, most famously Michelangelo’s La Pietà sculpture and Bernini’s bronze baldachin altar canopy. Then head outside for a stroll around St Peter’s Square, where your guide points out Bernini’s use of optical illusion at the colonnades. Your tour ends here, where you can continue exploring on your own.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point; expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security
- Tours departing Wednesday: Unable to include St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square. This is due to the Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica could be closed. As an alternative, you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, the full 3-hour tour is spent inside the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel.
- Only small bags are allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Please be advised that St. Peter’s Basilica will not be accessible until further notice due to current restrictions - Therefore, tour will lasts 2.5 hrs instead
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY City Wonders Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience