- Rila Monastery and Boyana Church day trip from Sofia
- Visit UNESCO-listed Rila Monastery in the idyllic Rila Mountains
- Admire the monastery courtyard and church, home to a magnificent iconostasis and frescoes
- Opt to visit the monastery museum and make the most of free time to explore independently
- Explore UNESCO-listed Boyana Church to see its stunning medieval frescoes
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
From the car park next to La Cattedrale restaurant, at the south-east corner of Alexander Nevski Square
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
On arrival, listen as your guide offers insight into the legend-shrouded monastery, whose origin dates back to 927 AD. Embark on a guided tour of the architectural masterpiece and marvel at vivid, fresco-coated colonnades and richly carved wooden icons. Pay your respects at the grand tomb of Bulgaria’s last monarch, Boris III, and venture within the monastery museum to peruse the intriguing exhibits.
Afterwards, relax during some leisurely free time to revitalize with a traditional lunch, and then return to the minibus to venture to the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Boyana Church, Famed for its impeccably preserved medieval frescoes, the church demands attention with its ancient artworks; spend a while admiring the depictions of angels, apostles, saints and sinners, and listen to the historical context of their creation.
Culturally enriched, return to your vehicle and relax during the journey back to central Sofia.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities
- Not wheelchair accessible or stroller friendly
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended
- Exceptions to the standard program:
- 01.01.2020 departure at 11:00 AM without Boyana Church
- Boyana church will NOT be visited on the following dates: the 18th of May, the 19th of April, 24th and 25th December
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Hand disinfectant will be provided for free throughout the tour.
- All customers are required to wear face masks during the transfers.
- Due to COVID-19, only part of our vehicle seat capacity will be used.
- All our drivers and guides will be wearing masks and gloves during the transfers.
- All touch points in the vehicles will be cleaned frequently.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- OPERATED BY Traventuria
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip from Sofia.