Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Private Pompeii and Herculaneum day trip from Sorrento
- Explore UNESCO-listed Herculaneum and Pompeii independently
- Wander through well-preserved Herculaneum, buried by mud after Vesuvius’ eruption
- See the mosaic-coated House of Neptune, garden of the House of Argos, and more
- Walk the paved streets of Pompeii, buried by ash after the AD 79 disaster
- View the plaster casts of victims, grand houses, and buildings such as the Forum and brothel
- Round-trip private transfers including hotel pickup and drop-off, with entrance fees at own expense
Departure & Return
meeting at 09:00am by the Achille Lauro parking area in Sorrento Hotel pick up, if possible, is available on request by email. Thanks
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Then, catch glimpses of Mt. Vesuvius and the Gulf of Naples as you travel northward toward Pompeii and Herculaneum, both destroyed by the catastrophic eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79.
On arrival at Herculaneum, leave your driver and head inside (own expense) the excavated site to explore independently. While Pompeii was buried in hot ash, this ancient port was submerged in mud loosened by Vesuvius’ eruption.
The mud served to ‘fossilize’ many building timbers and domestic items, leaving some incredibly well-preserved remnants, including furniture and clay utensils. Tragically, Herculaneum’s 4,000 inhabitants didn’t fare so well: while many managed to flee, others were suffocated by Vesuvius’ poisonous gases.
Inspect the remnants of this once-bustling town, seeing highlights like the House of Argos, complete with its still-standing columns, garden area, and courtyard.
Admire the frescoes and mosaics at the baths complex, and explore the House of Carbonized Furniture, dotted with the remains of furniture including a marital bed. Other must-sees include shops, a gymnasium, and the House of Neptune, still bearing mosaics and paintings depicting hunting scenes, fountains, and plants.
From here, continue to Pompeii and enter the archaeological park (own expense) to stroll around on your own. Walk along stone-paved streets, view the casts of the victims’ bodies, and delve into grand houses, shops, temples, and more. Take in the Theater area (Teatro Grande) and the Lupanare, the 2-story house that was once Pompeii’s brothel, still adorned with erotic frescoes.
After exploring the UNESCO-listed site, reconvene with your driver and ride back to Sorrento, where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please contact supplier by email to reconfirm the pick up time and hotel/accommodation name
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY TUI italia s.r.l
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.