- Train tour to Meteora from Thessaloniki includes round-trip fare and lunch
- Visit three active monasteries at the UNESCO World Heritage site
- Take in sweeping panoramic views of clifftop monasteries and hermit caves
- Learn the fascinating, ancient history of Meteora from a guide
Departure & Return
This tour starts at 08:18 from Thessaloniki train station. Board the morning train to Meteora and enjoy a memorable day trip to a World Heritage Site. This day trip from Thessaloniki will give you the chance to admire the beauty of Greek countryside and to visit an awe-inspiring site. Upon your arrival in Kalambaka train station at 11:30, a VIP Limo minibus with your guide will be waiting outside holding a signboard with your name on it for an amazing 4-hours tour to Meteora. Visit inside 2 monasteries of Meteora, the secluded hermit caves of Badovas and the best panoramic viewpoints of the site and of the 6 monasteries. At the end of the tour (16:00) your minibus will transfer you back to Kalambaka, where you will have an hour free time to stroll around the town or to have a light lunch (not included). At 17:15 the train departs from Kalambaka and arrives back in thessaloniki at 20:31.
What To Expect
Visit three of Meteora’s captivating, UNESCO-listed monasteries, built directly into the cliff face at dizzying heights by monks in search of solitude and safety. Learn the history and legends behind these sky-high sanctuaries as you tour them with your guide (entrance fees not included). You'll also see the hermit caves of Badovas and admire the exteriors of neighboring monasteries; be sure to keep your camera handy while traveling through a dramatic landscape of ancient stone jutting out of a lush valley.
Say goodbye to your driver and guide at the Kalambaka train station in the late afternoon. You will have about an hour of free time to walk in the town’s center. Then trace the route back to the Thessaloniki train station.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- To enter the monasteries, appropriate clothing is required; Ladies should not wear short skirts and must have long sleeves; Men are not allowed to wear shorts
- A small amount of walking is involved, but there are stairs to climb in the monasteries
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 34 travelers
- OPERATED BY Visit Meteora
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms