- Private tour of George Washington's Mount Vernon
- Explore the immaculate garden and grounds with a knowledgeable private guide
- Gain exclusive access to parts of the mansion generally off-limits to visitors
- Tour gristmill and distillery to see how rye whiskey is produced
- Hear informative commentary about the historical sites
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Departure Point: Mount Vernon Ford Orientation Center Address: 3200 Mount Vernon Hwy Mt Vernon, VA 22121 Dates: Daily
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Upon arrival, meet the guide at the Ford Orientation Center. This private tour can be customized to meet specific interests right from the outset. Begin with either a special short film that offers an overview of the important events in George Washington’s life or enjoy a narrated history from the tour guide while roaming through the garden and grounds of the estate. Then explore the 21-room mansion, getting an insider’s look at some of the places that are rarely seen on typical tours here.
Learn about the 18th-century, English-style garden, where Washington the landscaper reshaped walks, roads, and lawns, cut vistas through the forest and planted hundreds of native trees and shrubs. Optionally, visit the 4-acre Pioneer Farm on the banks of the Potomac near the wharf. This is where Washington tested and implemented his progressive farming practices. Also, learn about the lives of some 100 field slaves who put his ideas into practice here.
See where Washington built a merchant gristmill, capable of producing up to 8,000 pounds of flour and cornmeal a day. And the distillery where he successfully entered the whiskey business—so successful that during the year of his death, the distillery produced nearly 11,000 gallons, making it the largest whiskey distillery in America at the time.
Then visit the Donald W. Reynolds Museum and Education Center for a self-guided tour. This building features 23 galleries and theaters where visitors learn about Washington through interactive displays, an action-adventure movie, short films produced by the History Channel and more.
Food is available on site (own expense). Enjoy classic American favorites in a Colonial-inspired setting at the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant or grab a quick meal or snack at the Mount Vernon Food Court.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY George Washington's Mount Vernon
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.